Our ancestors never ate Red 40, Yellow 5 or monosodium glutamate! Did your ancestors ever go hunting for bagels? ?I don?t think mine did even though I am Jewish.???Well that is the basis behind the Paleo diet. Eat whole, unprocessed foods that resemble what they looked like in nature. ?Here are the foods to avoid and what to eat if you are going to start eating Paleo!
Quick List of Foods to Avoid:
- Refined Sugar / High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Grains ? Bread, Pasta, Wheat, Rye?etc?
- Legumes ? Beans, Lentils, Soybeans, Peas, Peanuts?etc?
- Dairy ? Cream, Butter, Milk, Casein, Cheese, Whey, Yogurt?etc?
- Vegetable Oils ? Sunflower oil, Safflower oil, Soybean oil?etc?
- Artificial Sweeteners ? Aspartame, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium..etc..
- Processed Foods ? Anything labelled ?diet? or ?low-fat? or has many odd ingredients. (if you don?t understand the ingredients -stay away)
Foods to Eat:
- Meats ? grass-fed beef, lamb, chicken, turkey and pork
- Fish / Seafood ? Wild caught salmon, trout, haddock, shrimp, shellfish?etc..
- Eggs ? Preferably freerange
- Vegetables ? Dark leafy greens, kale, broccoli, peppers?
- Fruits ? Avocado, Strawberries, Blueberries, Grapefruit, Oranges?
- Tubers ? Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Yams , Turnips?
- Nuts / Seeds ? Almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds?
- Healthy fats & oils ? Lard, tallow, coconut oil, avacado oil, olive oil
- Salts & Spices ? Himalayan salt, garlic, turmeric, rosemary?etc..
It?s really not too hard to maintain a Paleo diet and if you go out for dinner just order a meat or fish-based main dish and get extra vegetables instead of bread or rice. ?Make sure to have them cook your food in coconut oil, olive oil or lard.