And make sure your dog doesn’t either!
My dog Louie found and ingested rat poison and I had to take him to the ER. In a case like this they make him throw up and then give him activated charcoal to absorb the rest of the poison. It was scary but Louie should be fine
What’s the lesson from all of this?
1. Make sure you have rat poison traps that are locked correctly
2. Scan your whole backyard and double check everything (which I thought I did)
3. Even if poison tastes good don’t eat it
I thought since we are on the poison theme and it’s the end of the year I would list my top 8 foods to AVOID! (no particular order and could probably find more)
8. Processed Table Salt – not all salt is created equal – avoid processed table salt because it causes your body to retain fluids and most table “salt” is iodized and puts people at risk for abnormally large thyroid gland and cause thyroid-related autoimmune disorders. Excess iodine in the diet can also lead to nausea, headaches and unhealthy hormone levels. Use either Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt
7. Margarine – the vegetable oils used to make regular margarine’s today have a high concentration of polyunsaturated fats and the process of hardening those oils to create the more solid structure of margarine, known as hydrogenation, generates artificial trans fats. (that’s not good) Use grass-fed Butter or Ghee
6. Kids Cereal – i won’t get all sciencey (made up word :)) sugar, lots of processing, and artificial flavoring – Try Go Raw Cereal Sprouted Granola
5. Microwave Popcorn – The bag itself contains chemicals and with ingredients such as partially hydrogenated soybean oil, palm oil, salt and TBHQ– stands for “Tertiary Butylhydroquinone.” It’s a dead giveaway that you shouldn’t be eating this, if food companies have to use an acronym for a long chemical name on the ingredient label. Make your own
popcorn – here are the ingredients to one – (Food Babe’s Super-food popcorn)
- ¼ cup dry popcorn kernels
- 1 and ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tsp red palm oil
- 1 tbsp hempseed ground
- ¼ tsp celtic sea salt
4. Fancy Coffee Drinks – Now that the holidays are around the corner we see even more of these fancy drinks. What we don’t see is the 50 grams of sugarin them. These can be addicting because of the sugar and caffeine. Just stick to the basic drinks and celebrate the holidays another way
3. Factory Farmed Meat (and fish) You are what they eat, and if the livestock or fish that you’re grilling up for dinner is fed hormones, drugs and anunnatural diet grown using chemical pesticides and fertilizers, that’s not good news for you!! Eat grass fed meat and wild fish
2. White Flour (i.e. bagels, most breads, muffins and pastries) I know it’s tempting but once you stop eating it you will find that you won’t be tempted as much. White flour is really nothing more than refined carbohydrates and can contribute to weight gain. Enriched white flour causes your body to scream through the ride of a sugar high roller coaster. – Use Ezekial bread, sourdough bread or bread you can see the grains.
(or just avoid it all together
1. Soft Drinks or Diet Drinks – We all know this by now Sugar, artificial flavoring…blah, blah, blah…Drink water, tea or black coffee
I could go on and on with this list but it’s all about taking small steps and eliminating these foods/drinks that can set you off trackto reach your goals.
If you have a soft drink a few times a year there is nothing wrong with thatjust make sure it is not a daily or weekly occurrence.
Bottom Line: Don’t poison yourself or your dog
Have a great weekend!