Not everyone likes eating vegetables, right!?
And if they do eat veggies they want their biggest bang for their buck. Find the best vegetable that will give me the most health benefits in the shortest amount of time…right?
That is the nature of our society today…everyone wants something in a quick and efficient matter. Would you agree? If you open a web page and it is just slightly slow – what do you do? Well, I know I close it right away and move on.
So after doing some research…I wanted to find you guys an all in one veggie!! Any guesses?
Yep – you got it!! Broccoli Sprouts
Why Broccoli Sprouts? Here are just a few of the benefits…(most of these studies were done on mice but it is a start
- May Fight and Prevent Cancer – including throat, lung, colon, prostate, breast, bladder, skin cancers 1, 2, 3
- May help lower Blood Pressure 4
- May help prevent Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease. Huntington’s disease 5,6,7
- Has been linked to help with traumatic brain injury 8
- Powerful protector against osteoporosis 9
- Aid cells in the lungs get rid of environmental toxins (namely, diesel exhaust) that are known to contribute to allergies, asthma and other respiratory illness 10
- Could improved hair growth (I’m in on that!!:) ) 11
This powerful cruciferous vegetable contains Sulforaphane which affects the expression of over 200 genes including antioxidant and anti-inflammatory genes and help inactivate harmful compounds.
Other cruciferous veggies to add to your list are…
So!! What are you waiting for?!
Start adding Broccoli sprouts to your salad or just eat it alone. But don’t boil or cook these veggies because you will lose a lot of their natural disease-fighting power
Where can you find them?
A local health food or grocery store that offers broccoli sprouts for sale. Keep in mind that you want to get them just a few days after sprouting and that they will probably be a bit expensive.
Simply grow them on your own (got this from Dr. Ax)
- Conventional sprout growing requires a jar with sprouting lid, some broccoli seeds and purified water. In your jar, cover about 2 tablespoons of organic broccoli sprouting seeds with warm water (a few inches of water will do), and soak overnight. Drain your seeds after 8–10 hours.
- For about 5 days, be careful to rinse the seeds with fresh, purified water between two and three times each day. You’ll need to drain off the water each time you rinse the sprouts (or they could go bad).
- During this growing time, be sure to keep your sprouts in a warm, dark environment.
- In the first three days or so, you’ll likely see the seeds split and reveal the beginnings of a sprout. However, don’t harvest them yet.
- When you notice the sprouts are an inch to an inch and a half long and have developed defined, yellow leaves, it’s safe to expose your sprouts to some sunlight. Continue to water and rinse as before, especially if you live in a very hot or dry place.
- Sprouts are ready to be picked and eaten when the leaves are a darker shade of green and longer than an inch in length.
Broccoli Sprouts and/or Cruciferous veggies should definitely be added to your arsenal of health!!
Have a great rest of the day and weekend!!
P.S. – Want more tips? Join the conversation at The Get Lean Club (our own private FB community)
1 J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000 Jan 5;92(1):61-8.
2 J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999 Apr 7;91(7):605-13.
3 Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Jan; 18(1): 184–195.
4 Am J Hypertens. 2012 Feb;25(2):229-35. doi: 10.1038/ajh.2011.200. Epub 2011 Nov 3.
5 Front Aging Neurosci. 2017; 9: 121. Published online 2017 May 1. doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2017.00121
6 Neurotoxicology. 2013 May;36:63-71. doi: 10.1016/j.neuro.2013.03.004. Epub 2013 Mar 18
7 J Neurochem. 2014 May;129(3):539-47. doi: 10.1111/jnc.12647. Epub 2014 Jan 18.
8 Neurosci Lett. 2009 Aug 28; 460(2): 103–107.
9 Arthritis Rheum. 2013 Dec;65(12):3130-40. doi: 10.1002/art.38133.
10 1 JAN 2007https://doi.org/10.1152/ajplung.00170.2006
11 Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016 Mar 25;472(1):250-4. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2016.02.099. Epub 2016 Feb 26.