Knowing about this hormone can help you…
you lose inches, gain energy and fit into your clothes from 10 years ago! Wow!!
As members of the The Get Lean Club we all know that it is NOT about calories for why individuals become overweight or obese it’s about hormones and here is a crash course on Leptin the “master hormone” of body fat regulation!!
Leptin’s main role is regulating how much we eat and burn, as well as how much fat we carry on our bodies.
- Leptin resistance (universal in obesity) – the brain doesn’t receive the leptin signal, it erroneously thinks that the body is starving, even though it has more than enough energy stored – is now believed to be the leading driver of fat gain in humans. 1
So creating a balance of insulin effect vs. leptin effect, just as the thermostat is regulated by the balance of heating vs. cooling, will help you decrease your Body Set Weight (lose weight and keep it off). 2
- Insulin vs. Leptin. One is trying to make us gain fat (insulin), the other is trying to lose fat (leptin).
In those who are obese, we know that the insulin effect has prevailed over the leptin effect. This could be due to a number of reasons, but eating foods high in refined grains, eating frequently, eating lots of sugar are all culprits in keeping insulin levels high despite leptin’s best efforts to curb appetite to lower insulin. 2
You could be Leptin Resistant if you have?
- A lot body fat in the midsection area
- Out of control food cravings and snacking all day (especially cravings for junk food)
- High stress
- Not enough sleep
How can you prevent or reverse leptin resistance?
- Lower Insulin Levels by
- Intermittent Fasting
- Eat or Drink less sugar
- Eat less refined grains (bread, pasta and pastries)
- Moderate protein and high natural fats (avocado, olive oil, walnuts…etc)
- Stop snacking
- Eat Real foods (things that expire in a week)
- Getting more Omega-3 ( salmon, halibut, sardines, albacore, trout, herring, walnut, flaxseed oil, and canola oil)
- Add resistance training to your routine
- Get adequate sleep
- Chill out (yoga or meditation)
- Avoid eating typical modern diet (pasta, soda, pastries…etc…) ruins your body’s natural leptin response
Bottom Line: Making a few diet and lifestyle adjustments lays a foundation to restore leptin sensitivity, lower insulin levels which control your body set weight, and improve your health.
Have a great day!