Do you take your car in for regular service?
I am sure you do or else the car will not drive to?optimal performance.
Do you do the same for your?body? Do you want?optimal performance?out of your body?
Well your body does something called?autophagy????self eating??? It is a regulated, orderly process to degrade and recycle cellular components. 1
It is the same as?replacing?a timing belt, a?new exhaust?or a?new battery?for your car.
Cells become old and junky and by turning on autophagy you?re going to?promote cellular repair in your body.
?Autophagy makes us more?efficient machines?to get rid of faulty parts, stop cancerous growths, and stop metabolic dysfunction like obesity and diabetes.??stated?Colin Champ, M.D., a board-certified radiation oncologist, assistant professor at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Autophagy?also has the ability to clear out old protein that could prevent the development of?Alzheimer Disease?along with these other benefits 2:
- Reduction?in inflammation
- Improved?immune function
- Slows down?the aging process 3
- Eats up?cancerous cells and tumors 4
- Kills?infectious particles and toxins 5
What is the best way to?promote autophagy?in our own bodies?
Fasting???Nutrient deprivation?is the key activator of autophagy. 6
Fasting also?stimulates growth hormone, which tells our body to start producing some new parts for the body as well. 7
How long should you fast for?
- If you have never done it,?I recommend starting slow by using the?Intermittent Fasting Guide?to help guide you through it.
- If you are?experienced at intermittent fasting?I would shoot for the?36 hour mark?to promote?autophagy.
- A study I found looking at the number of autophagosomes (the cellular organelles that degrade dysfunctional proteins)increased 300% after 24 hours of fasting, and a further 30% after 48 hours of fasting. 8 In addition to looking at the number of autophagosomes in a cell, the study looked at a handful of metabolic markers that are?indicative of autophagy being stimulated between 24 and 36 hours.
What turns off autophagy?
- Eating?which causes an increase in glucose, insulin and proteins all turn off this self-cleaning process.
So this process of autophagy is?unique?to fasting ? something?not found?in simple caloric restriction or dieting.
It all leads us back to a?balance of feasting and fasting. Not constant dieting.
So?spring?is here and it?s time to?rejuvenate?your body and mind after a long winter!!
If the idea of fasting?24+?hours is?intimidating, don?t worry and start slow with?The Intermittent Fasting Journal?to help you get started.
Please?REPLY?back with any questions?
Have a great day!! Enjoy The Masters!!
P.S.?Join the conversation and get your questions answered at our private Facebook group ??Get Lean Club
1?Genes Dev.?2007 Nov 15;21(22):2861-73.
2?J Neurosci.?1996 Jan;16(1):186-99.
3?Autophagy.?2005 Oct-Dec;1(3):131-40. Epub 2005 Oct 13.
4?Cancer Res.?2006 Oct 1;66(19):9349-51.
5?Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2009; 335: 169?188.?doi:?10.1007/978-3-642-00302-8_8
7?J Clin Invest. 1988 Apr; 81(4): 968?975. doi:?10.1172/JCI113450