How do I get Abs? As a fitness trainer/health coach, it’s the #1 question I get from my clients!!
Most people think their abs will suddenly appear doing sit ups/crunches!! Not so much…
How about doing cardio?! That won’t help much either.
- In a 6 month study, subjects did 50 minutes of cardiovascular exercise 5 days a week, and lost no more weight than those who dieted only. 1
- In a 3 month study, women exercised at 78% of their max heart rate for 45 minutes, 5 days a week and lost no more weight than those who dieted alone! 2
Don’t get me wrong exercise (especially high intensity resistant training) has many benefits –
- better muscle tone,
- increased insulin sensitivity of muscles 3
- increased VO2 max (maximum amount of oxygen that an individual can utilize during intense exercise)
- more strength
- stronger bone density and
- improved mental health
But in order to help get that six pack or show some abs it’s 80%…
- What you eat – certain foods tend to raise insulin more than others and
- When you eat – this topic is virtually ignored throughout obesity/weight loss literature both on the internet and in academic journals.
The good news is as a member of The Get Lean Club and if you are reading my emails or have committed to The Simple Intermittent Fasting Journal you understand the importance of both when you eat and what you eat.
Well, here are some quick tips as we approach the warmer weather!!
- Eat whole unprocessed foods (veggies, some fruit and foods that expire within a week)
- Stay away from refined foods/sugars (pastries, sodas, desserts, cereals…etc… 🙂
- Avoid artificial sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame K, saccharin, stevia, and cyclamate)
- Stress less (meditate or yoga),
- Sleep more (prepare for bed by avoiding your phone/computer at least an hour before bedtime)
- Use Intermittent Fasting
- Avoid alcohol
- Drink water instead of soda (add a touch of Pink Himalayan Salt)
- Don’t snack between whole-food meals
If this list is overwhelming pick one thing and stick to it until it becomes a habit and then move on to the next one.
It ‘s not going to happen overnight but taking these steps will get you on your way!
I am offering FREE 15 minute consultations to discuss your health goals and how we can work together to get you there!
Have a great Spring Break and let’s get you ready for summer!!
To a healthier you,