This is a very?common question?I get from clients and it can be either a very complex or simple answer.
Is this a daily question that you have??Most people want that ongoing burst of energy so they can:
- Play?with their kids or grand-kids
- Be productive?at work especially in the afternoon
- Get that?workout?in at the end of the day.
We all have?different reasons to have more energy?so I wanted to find answers to help you live a more productive life?
The first obvious trio to?help?get you more energy are probably the things you have heard over and over again?
Sleep, exercise and eat better
How do you get more energy by exercising?
Try to?exercise during your lunch hour. (At least go for a walk.) Office workers who exercised at lunch were more productive, less stressed and had more energy.
- In 2004 researchers at Leeds Metropolitan University in England found that workers who used their company?s gym were?more productive and felt better able to handle their workloads? Overall, they felt better about their work and less stressed when they exercised. And they felt less fatigued in the afternoon, despite expending energy at lunchtime.
How do you get more sleep?
Set an?alarm?for you to?start getting ready for bed?(not to wake up)
- Via?The Paleo Manifesto: Ancient Wisdom for Lifelong Health:?A useful technique is setting an alarm clock?not to wake up, but to get ready for bed.?Set an alarm for an hour before bedtime.?When it goes off, finish up any work on the computer, turn off the TV, turn off any unnecessary lights, and start to wind down for the day.
How do you eat healthier?
Before you choose your meal at the restaurant, Ask??What would Superman/woman eat???It sounds funny but it actually works with kids and adults ? Studies showed when kids asked themselves this question before eating they were far more likely to reach for apple slices over french fries.1?Superheroes can help you eat better. Seriously.
- Via Brian Wansik (He leads food psychology research at Cornell University): If you?re faced with a decision like,??Should I eat dessert??think of an admired/healthy person in your life. Say to yourself,??What would my cool/healthy friend Steve do??You?ll find that about a third of the time it will be easier for you to make healthier decisions.
Lastly, most people find that their?production goes down?in the afternoon and wonder, why?
- Take a power nap
- Go for a walk
- Eat a?healthy salad?(to keep your insulin levels lower)
Also, paying attention to your?circadian rhythm?has huge energy benefits.?Athletes?are much more likely to break world records when they align their competitions with their internal clock. So being self aware and?knowing when you are at your best?is very important! When?energy is high, that?s when you want to focus on creative, challenging work. When?energy is low, do busy work.
- Via Scott Adams (author of How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life) One of the most important tricks for maximizing your productivity involves?matching your mental state to the task? At 6:00 A.M. I?m a creator, and by 2:00 P.M. I?m a copier ? It?s the perfect match of my energy level with a mindless task.
I am hoping you can gain some?good tips?to help you take on your day with more vigor.
Also, being?optimistic?will help you have more energy along with?being active, not passive. If you?re pessimistic, it will drain you and you?ll be more stressed. It?s all about?how you interpret what is going on, not what is actually happening.
So enjoy the great?Chicago weather?today if that is where you reside and have a great weekend!
I am here for you??Want to read more??My last article was published on Fitness Professionals Online!! Check it out?here.
P.S. Join the conversation and get your questions answered at?The Get Lean Club.