We all are told to eat as much fruit as we want but is that the real truth?!
Don?t get me wrong ff you have to decide between cantaloupe and a dairy queen blizzard? Chose the cantaloupe?
But I know for some of you (including myself) you sometimes?hit a plateauwhen it comes to?losing weight?and/or feeling better. So I want all the?members of?The Get Lean community?to be informed regarding fruit and the best way to consume it to help you reach your health goals?
So my issue is not with eating?whole fruit?as much as it is being?juiced, concentrated, dried?and added to a variety of foods and marketed as??natural sugar?.
- So the concentrated sugar and lower fiber content with?additional processing?is what you?want to avoid.
I often get asked,??Which fruit is best???(I put a chart below of fruits with lowest fructose)
- I would recommend?ONE piece of LOCAL and SEASONAL fruit per day.
- If you are eating out of season then look at?avocado,and/or?berries.These are often lower in fructose.
- Other whole fruits?(not dried)?are not bad and if you eat them?with the skin?(well washed) then you get the fiber as well.
Fruit?does contain?antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients ? which is all good!
But?fructose?is the main sugar in fruits.
And fructose produces only a?mild rise?in insulin levels compared to glucose. (which is good)
But the?rise in obesity?has really?mirrored?the increase in?total fructose consumption. (i.e.?high fructose corn syrup is in almost everything)
So why is?Fructose so dangerous?
- Fructose can?only?be metabolized by the liver and?can?t?be used for energy by your body?s cells.
- Excess fructose?damages?the liver and leads to insulin resistance in the liver as well as?fatty liver disease.
- Fructose?increases?uric acid?production, which, in excess, can cause gout, kidney stones and precipitate or aggravate hypertension.
- Fructose rapidly causes?leptin resistance. Leptin is a?hormone?that?controls appetite and metabolism?to maintain a normal weight. (makes you more hungry)
- Avoid?products that list ? fructose, high fructose corn syrup, honey, fruit juice concentrate or corn syrup solids among?first five ingredients
- Buy?local?seasonal?fruit (shelf life of a fruit should only be 1-2 days)
- Limit to?one serving?per day (10 grams or less of fructose/per day?for weight control)
- Go with fruits that are?higher in fiber / lower in fructose
- Avoid?juiced, concentrated and dried fruits
|Fruit||Serving Size||Grams of Fructose|
|Passion fruit||1 medium||0.9|
|Date (Deglet Noor style)||1 medium||2.6|
|Cantaloupe||1/8 of med. melon||2.8|
|Star fruit||1 medium||3.6|
|Cherries, sour||1 cup||4.0|
(3.5? x .75?)
|Grapefruit, pink or red||1/2 medium||4.3|
(chart from nofructose.com)
Let me know if you have any questions!
Remember to support your?local farming community and buy local, seasonal and fresh.
Have a great day!
P.S. Join the conversation and get your questions answered at?The Get Lean Club?
P.S.S ? Check out this?testimonial?that?Dr. Josh emailed me?regarding using the?Simple Intermittent Fasting Journal
As a doctor, this is one of the first diets that too me really makes sense. By fasting for 18 hours, thus letting your body?s fat stores naturally break down to convert to carbs, helps one?lose weight?and tone up without having to work out like crazy and restricting your self from eating during all 3 meals during a day.
I have been doing the 18 hour intermittent fasting diet for the last 6 weeks, usually from 6pm to noon the next day. I hope for it not to be a diet, but a lifestyle change. I have felt better and healthier doing it, i have not really felt very hungry (maybe some grumbing from 10-noon). I have toned up and lost weight without really working out more than my typical 3 times a week for about an hour doing some weights and cardio.
For me, it is an easy diet to follow by taking food completely out of the equation from the evening to the next morning, there are no calories to count, no foods to restrict yourself completely from in that window since no food is allowed. I
know I am eating less calories total during the day, i feel better and actually feel like i have more energy by doing it. Some days I try to go until 2-3pm as well, and then have a healthy dinner. Much easier to do this during the week, weekends I often will eat until 8-9pm.
I highly recommend it to anyone to give it a try