Our bodies are meant to be fat-burners!
Based on questions from my last email regarding becoming a fat burner, I asked my friend Kate Bay Jaramillo, the owner of Ketogenic Living 101, to give members of The Get Lean Club the 4 best ways to get into fat burning mode.
Kate believes that following a ketogenic diet may help with
- weight loss,
- sustained energy,
- mental focus,
- exercise endurance,
- disappearing cravings, and
- disease prevention and treatment.
A ketogenic diet is a low-carb, moderate-protein, high (healthy) fat way of eating that helps the body switch its primary fuel source from glucose back to fat.
Follow these simple tips to safely get your body into ketosis quickly:
- Keep your net carbohydrates at or under 20 net grams per day. ?Net Carbs? are total carbs minus dietary fiber. Carbohydrates should come from low-starch, high-fiber vegetables, seeds, nuts, coconut milk/cream, avocados, and berries (blackberries and strawberries are best.)
- Lead each meal with healthy fats. High-quality animal protein, especially grass-fed beef, is one of the best sources of healthy fat and micronutrients. Other amazing whole food healthy fats include chicken thighs, eggs, pork shoulder, uncured bacon, coconut oil, MCT oil, avocado, macadamia nuts, pecans, hemp seeds, coconut milk/cream, grass-fed butter, ghee, olive oil, and organic dairy products (heavy cream, sour cream, cream cheese) if you can tolerate it.
- Avoid sugar and gluten like the plague. Be sure to read food labels and avoid processed products as much as possible. Processed foods are often bulked with sugar and other nasty ingredients that will not only affect your ability to get into ketosis, but may contribute to inflammation and brain fog. Fresh is best, and your body deserves the best possible fuel!
- Adopt an intermittent fasting strategy. Prolonged periods of not eating deplete the body of glucose and force it to run on stored fat for fuel. A 24-hour fast where you consume only water and black coffee or tea may be a great way to help your body produce ketones and use them as a fuel source. Break that fast with a meal consisting of a fatty cut of protein, some low-starch veggies on the side, topped off with some grass-fed butter. You just completed a 24 hour fast ? go get a nice grass-fed rib-eye steak or wild salmon, serve it with a cup of steamed broccoli, and cover that broccoli in some melted butter. Drooling? Thought so!
If your weight loss efforts have plateaued perhaps these tips from Kate will help guide you into ketosis.
Remember take one step at a time and it always helps to have a professional coach, like myself or Kate, to be held accountable and stay on track.
Let me know if you any questions regarding this information 🙂
Have a great weekend!
P.S. – Join our private community to get your questions answered and have weekly fun challenges 🙂